Disney just released their coveted recipe for vegan cookie fries. And in this time of coronavirus quarantine, we can’t think of a more perfect lifeline.
Disney parks and resorts have long been known for their themed restaurants and cafes. Recently, the park has made headlines (and lots of smiles) by announcing most restaurants and parks now offer vegan food options.
Yeah, we did backflips too. Then we hit the park, tasted all of the magical treats for ourselves, and put our (very scientific) findings in this Disney World Vegan Guide. All of our favorite food, parks, and tips for racing through the most magical place on Earth without missing a morsel of vegan goodness.
Vegan cookie fries, Disney style!
So… what the heck are cookie fries anyways?!
That was our first question. Turns out, they’re kinda like biscotties. But way better. As Disney Food and Beverage Communications Coordinator, Alex Dunlap, says:
“They’re so good, I just had to share the recipe with you! This recipe makes 32 cookie fries and is the perfect serving size for a small gathering of friends or a family dinner.”
Of course, in these days of coronavirus lockdown, a “small gathering” might just be you, your S/O, and a couple furry friends. If that sounds like your new normal, we say enjoy!
Disney Cookie Fries Cooking Instructions
- 2 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup plus one tablespoon plant-based margarine, softened
- 7 tablespoons warm water
- 5 tablespoons liquid egg substitute
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1/2 cup dairy-free mini chocolate chips
- Combine flour, powdered sugar, and plant-based margarine in bowl of electric mixer fitted with paddle attachment. Beat on medium speed until smooth.
- In small bowl, combine warm water and egg substitute. Add egg substitute and molasses to mixer. Mix on medium speed until smooth.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Place in an 8×8-inch pan and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- Cut into 32 strips that are 1/4-inch wide and 4 inches long. Place 16 strips on each baking sheet.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes, until crunchy.
- Serve with your favorite plant-based chocolate, strawberry, and marshmallow dipping sauces.
Here’s a quick tip from Alex: Not all plant-based egg substitutes are the same. As a result, it’s hard to predict how much flour and sugar they’ll absorb. If your dough seems ‘too sticky’, just add 1 additional tablespoon of powdered sugar until it resembles the texture of traditional cookie dough.
More Magical Goodness
At the time of this writing, Disney World resorts and properties are closed. But Florida is slowly reopening beaches, so we’re hopeful we’ll be able to get back to the parks quickly. And safely, of course.
If you’re planning a trip to Disney World, be sure to download our Vegan Disney Guide. You can also browse our top picks for vegan restaurants in Disney World online.
Cooking Up the Magic: Plant-Based Cookie Fries Recipe from Beaches and Cream Soda Shop. Disney Parks Blog. URL: https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2020/03/cooking-up-the-magic-plant-based-cookie-fries-recipe-from-beaches-cream-soda-shop/