Traveling the world is a dream come true. It is exhilarating, romantic, and inspiring. However, anxiety, more specifically travel anxiety, can make it a challenge.
Travel stress comes in many forms. There are some unavoidable situations when traveling that can induce stress or anxiety- delayed flights, lost luggage, jet lag, misplaced passports, and crowded places.
Then, there is travel anxiety. Traveling can trigger a preexisting condition such as anxiety, panic disorder, and panic attacks. At times, it can feel almost impossible. But it isn’t. As someone that has suffered with various forms of anxiety and panic disorder for most of her life, I’m here to tell you can do it.
One of the best things you can do for yourself is have a secret weapon. Enter: Essential oils for travel anxiety.
You might have travel anxiety and not even know it
Travel anxiety is much more common than you might think. Often, people have it and do not even realize it. It is very complicated and rears its head in different forms. Symptoms vary by person and can creep up when least expected. If you already are an anxious person or suffer from anxiety, you most likely experience travel anxiety. If you are unsure whether you have travel anxiety, take some time to reflect on previous travel experiences. Ask yourself some of the following:
- How do I feel when I plan a trip? Do I find it exciting or do I worry?
- Do I think of the best case or worst case scenarios when I plan my travels?
- Am I fearful of situations when I am traveling?
- Do I anticipate the worst while I’m traveling?
- Do I feel trapped, uncomfortable, or worrisome?
Characteristics of Travel Anxiety
Characteristics vary from person to person. Here are a few examples of travel anxiety:
- Avoid traveling or making plans
- Claustrophobia or feeling trapped or fear of being trapped on a plane, train, and public space
- Obsessive planning
- Insomnia or difficulty sleeping leading up to or during your travels
- Worry over unfamiliar hotels, food, and situations
- Nausea or loss of appetite
- Worst case scenario thinking
- Panic or rapid heartrate
- Brain fog
- Inability to focus
- Cancel plans last minute
Causes of Travel Anxiety
Travel anxiety is triggered in different ways, depending on the individual. Below are a few examples of situations that may bring forth or heighten travel anxiety:
- Crowded places
- Fear of the unknown
- A departure from creature comforts
- Feeling out of control
- Claustrophobia, particularly on planes
- Bad experiences
- Horror stories
- Worst case scenario thinking
Essential Oil for Travel Anxiety
Essential oils are a great way to ease travel anxiety. They are a natural, effective, and travel friendly remedy. Essential oils will calm your mind and body, without the groggy, unpleasant side effects of prescription drugs. Our sense of smell is a dominant trigger for our emotions, thus affecting stress and anxiety levels. Information is processed through our sense of smell via the limbic system. When essential oils are inhaled, they fuel a series of mental responses in the brain’s limbic system. This controls our response to stress or relaxation- responses such as blood pressure, breathing, heart rate, and hormone production.
Best Essential Oils for Travel Anxiety
- Lavender: Lavender oil eases anxiety, promotes relaxation, calms the mind and body, and relieves insomnia.
- Ylang Ylang: Ylang Ylang promotes feelings of positivity and courage, while reducing worrisome and fearful thoughts.
- Vetiver: Vetiver is used to calm, ground, and stabilize the body and mind.
- Rose: Rose is viewed as an antidepressant. It soothes anxiety and promotes relaxation.
- Frankincense: Frankincense encourages tranquility. It is used to treat anxiety and depression.
- Bergamont: Bergamont releases tension, levels out emotions, and eases mental strain. It is often referred to as “nature’s Prozac.”
- Lemon: Lemon oil is uplifting, eases anxiety, and relieves depression.
- Chamomile: Chamomile is used to decrease worry, overthinking, irritability, and anxiety. Chamomile is a sleep aid.
- Orange: Orange oil promotes positivity, energy, and mental clarity.
Essential Oils Travel Kit
If a safety blanket and ninja had a love child, it would be an essential oil travel kit. Essential oil travel kits are one of the best secret weapons for battling travel anxiety. They are compact and portable, allowing them to go everywhere with you. Sometimes, just having something on-hand eases anxiety. The kits contain the best oils for various travel concerns, leaving you thoroughly equipped to enjoy your adventure.
Welcome the Easy Rider Essential Oils Travel Kit
Take it easy with the Easy Rider Essential Oil Travel Kit. This kit was designed to address anxiety, more specifically, travel anxiety. It contains all the best essential oils you will need to kick travel anxiety to the curb.
Destress is a blend of some of the best essential oils for travel anxiety. It is a versatile oil that smells great, while relieving stress, calming the mind, and bringing in all the zen. Use this oil after a long day of traveling or an involved afternoon of sightseeing.
Lavender is the holy grail of travel anxiety oils. It promotes relaxation, soothes tension headaches, and eases the mind. It can be used as a sleep aid and mood booster. Use lavender oil if sleeping in a strange place leaves you tossing and turning at night.
Anxiety Essential Oil
Anxiety essential oil blend is the key to warding off travel anxiety. This blend eases anxiety, relaxes the body, and calms the mind. The Anxiety blend can be called upon before, during, or after anxiety inducing situations. It will leave you feeling at peace and grounded. Use this oil to remain aligned and excited for your travels. A few dabs before your flight will do the trick.
Valiance Essential Oil Blend
Travel anxiety can leave us feeling frazzled. We may experience mental fog, poor memory, and a lack a confidence. Take back your confidence with Valiance. It will give you confidence, help you focus, and ground you in the present moment. Do not let fear dictate your experience. Use Valiance to move boldly through your adventure.
Shop Essential Oils for Jet Lag, and We’ll Donate 10% to Charity
Easy Rider isn’t the only kit we have for you travel junkies. In fact, we created 8 unique kits to capture the essence of our 8 favorite types of travelers. From the always-on A-Lister to the #NeverNotWorkout Road Warrior, we have a little something for everyone.
Visit this guide to essential oil travel kits, and grab a kit for you or a friend. 10% of every purchase goes to an animal charity, so you can feel good about feelin’ good!