A vegan food list, you thought. This ought to be a short read.
Sorry to disappoint, but our vegan food list is pretty long. And totally amazing. Sure, the main players might be simple, humble whole foods. But the supporting cast is one of mouthwatering herbs and spices that never fails to impress. Together, these vegan foods are both savory and satisfying for even the pickiest palate.
If it’s one thing I learned as a vegan travel blogger, it’s this: Vegan food does not have to be boring. From invigorating Indian spices to Asian lychees and decadent Caribbean coconuts, my experience tells me that taste buds are limited only by imagination.
Veganism is all about eliminating harm to animals. So, vote with your dollar. Support local growers and vegan companies that produce the following food items:
- Vegetables like lettuce, spinach, mushrooms, potatoes, and peppers are essential items for any vegan food list
- Fruits like apples, mangos, pineapples, and bananas add tropical flair to just about any vegan dish—hot, or cold
- Vegan dairy/ “non-dairy” products like coconut cream, almond milk, and cashew milk keep that morning coffee creamy
- Vegan snacks like cookies, donuts, and other pastries are a must (although you might have to bake at home, depending on availability at your local food store)
Check out the complete vegan food list. For a complete list, check out this Vegan Grocery List. Prefer to go raw, instead? I got you. Visit this Raw Vegan Grocery List.
Travel-inspired Vegan Food Spice List
No food list is complete without herbs and spices. Use them often, but sparingly. Some of these spices pack a powerful punch.
- Pepper: Black, Crushed Red, and White
- Curry spice (a blend of coriander, turmeric, cumin, fenugreek, & chili peppers)
A List of Foods That Vegans Avoid
Below is an obvious list of foods that vegans do not eat:
- Beef: Steak, brisket, ribs, and ground beef/chuck
- Pork: Ribs, bacon, pork belly, etc.
- Poultry/ fowl: Chicken, turkey, pheasants, ducks, and other water fowl)
- Shellfish: Crabs, prawns, crawfish, lobster, clams, mussels, oysters, and scallops
However, vegans must also avoid foods that are made using certain animal products. Vegans also avoid foods that are made with (or contain items that) are tested on animals. This is where it might get tricky. As a general rule, consider the following list of tips:
- Food labels are your best friend. Avoid foods that contain additives that are known to be derived from animal products. These include (but are not limited to) E120, E322, E422, E 471, E542, E631, E901 and E904.
- Gelatin is used in many different processed foods as a solidification material. It is everywhere, from processed meats to pudding snacks and even some baked goods. It is also made from the skin, bones, and connective tissues of farm-raised animals like cows and pigs. So there’s that.
- Fish oil supplements are typically derived from fish. Go vegan by choosing a vegan brand that derives the Omega fatty acids from algae instead.
- Protein supplements that contain whey, casein, and other forms of lactose are derived from dairy. For a list of vegan foods that are high in protein, see the Protein List section below.
- ‘Natural flavors’ are often listed on food labels, and they are sometimes derived from animal sources. So, play it safe and opt for clearly marked “Vegan” products. If you are uncertain, it’s always best to get in contact with the manufacturer.
More Vegan Lists!
Protein Food List
Hair, nails, and hormones are just a few of the most fabulous things your body makes with protein. Of course, nixing animal products means vegans need to be proactive in finding alternative sources of this essential nutrient.
Check out this complete Vegan Protein List.
Grocery/ Food Shopping Lists
Veganism is an extremely mindful practice. Stay on track (and under budget) by always shopping with intent (read: a list).
Before your next trip to the store, download this free Vegan Grocery List.
List of Most Popular Vegan Meal Delivery Services
Cooking isn’t your thing? No worries, there’s a service for that…
Read this roundup of the best Vegan Meal Delivery options.